Saturday, May 16, 2009

Reflections on My Laurel Family

Seventeen years ago we opened Laurel Elementary School. Anne Allen has been our principal, and I've worked with many of the same teachers since that first year. Some teachers have moved, a few have retired and we've added new members to our family over the years.  I've been lucky to work with a group of teachers at my grade level who have become like family. We've had our ups and downs, but basically we're a high functioning group. We not only work well together, we enjoy spending time together, and I know that no matter what happens we're there for each other. 

This next Friday we're facing changes to our school family. Due to budget cuts our district is moving from 20-1 student teacher ratio to 25-1. That obviously means fewer teachers. Pink slips went out in March... 2 teachers at Laurel, many more around the district. Iron House was hit hardest potentially losing 1/3 of their staff (Including this year's Teacher of the Year). This Friday we'll receive our tentative teaching assignments for next year. Three teachers from our school will be reassigned to other schools.  1 teacher each from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd will either be reassigned or will change grade level. We're all nervous...  Who will be leaving us? Who will be changing grade level? How will we be regrouped for next year?  In addition, Anne, our fearless leader, will be moving into a new position an Assistant Superintendent and our office manager, Lana will be retiring. So, more changes to the family.  I'm thankful I have a job, I'm pretty sure I'll still be at Laurel, but...  will I be asked to teach the K-1? Who will I have to say good-bye to at the end of this year? It's going to be a tough week; State election on Tuesday, District celebration to honor Teachers of the Year and those with 5, 10, 15, 20 etc. years of service on Wednesday, Open House on Thursday night and then on Friday our assignments...  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers